Monday, October 26, 2009

Beach Adventure




We had a bit of excitement last weekend. Friday is our day off in Djibouti City. John, our boss Dan and I went to a great beach to spend the afternoon and early evening. They have covered cabana areas where you can sit in the shade and enjoy the ocean breezes, take a picnic lunch, some beer or wine, watch the kids play soccer on the beach, swim and generally just chill out. Now, that the weather is cooler, it is really quite pleasant out there. We were having a delightful time really enjoying ourselves. We decided to go into the water at about 4:00 or so. But, the tide was really out and the water was quite shallow with lots of seaweed and rocks.

As I was trying to swim out to deeper water, I felt a severe pain in the side of my left foot on the bony prominence of my big toe. I thought for sure that I had scraped it on one of the rocks. However, the pain didn’t stop and began throbbing and traveling up to the top and along the side of my foot. It was excruciating. We quickly swam back to shore and I hobbled out of the water. All you could see on my food was a little dark spot on the side of my foot just under my big toe, oozing a tiny bit of blood where the initial pain was. I was afraid something had broken off inside. It took us a good 45 minutes over really rough road to get back to town and to the Villa where we stay on the weekend. John took a look at the wound and it didn’t look like anything was lodged in there. I quickly showered to get all of the sand and seawater off.

By that time, I was in excruciating pain. My foot was not swollen, but it was red on the top and side and it felt like someone was smashing a hammer down onto it again and again. I asked John to take me to the French Army Hospital emergency room (this is the only place we even half trust going to for medical care here in Djibouti). It took 10 minutes to get there by car and about 25 minutes after passing through security and paying money to be seen, we saw the doctor and nurse in the ER. They put hot compresses on the wound and my foot, supposedly to help with the pain, while they tried to figure out what was wrong. The hot compresses and then almost boiling water didn’t work to ease the pain at all.

Their initial diagnosis was that I had been stung by a sting ray. They are here hiding in the sand and that is a prevalent occurrence. But, after consulting with their surgeon, they determined that the position of the wound couldn’t have been a sting ray. Sting ray wounds are generally on the top of the foot or the lower leg. They finally decided that I had been tagged by a sea urchin. They can be very large here. Their venom will not kill you. But, the agony of it all! The treatment was clean the wound topically with betadine, wrap the wound, and send you to the nearest pharmacy for 8 days of antibiotics and some painkillers.

They did not give me any medication for the pain while we were at the French Army hospital. So, by the time John was able to get the medications from the pharmacy, I practically attacked him for the pain medication. That medication took about an hour to take effect. Then, the pain was dulled for the next several hours. Then came the taser-like shooting electrical jolts that attacked my poor foot all night long. I would be sleeping and wham! Needless to say, I didn’t sleep too well until after 4 am or so.

But, next day , absolutely no pain, felt great. Everything fine. Good thing their venom doesn't kill you. Just hurts like .....! So, here is my advice, especially for you divers out there. If you are ever tagged by a sea urchin, you can expect about twelve hours of excruciating pain. Lesson - wear shoes in the water at the beach!!!!! And, if an one of those urchins jumps out and grabs you, pee on it as fast as you can, just like they taught you in scuba diving class. Your urine is warm, acidic and sterile. All of which helps sooth this kind of pain and clean the wound. Then, my advice, take the strongest meds you can lay your hands on to control the pain and do it fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment